Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Golf Course - Houston, TX

I finally played Memorial Golf Course a few weeks ago and was very impressed. For being a public muni course, the course was in great shape. Also, if you play it from the tips it can be a long course, giving any golfer a good challenge.

One of the best parts about the course is its twilight rate. After 4pm you can play with a cart for $32. If you are able to tee off at 4, you would easily be able to get in 18-holes. I would even imagine tee times up to 4:45 could get the whole round in.

What could use improvement at the course would be its practice facilities. Since it has such high traffic it is difficult to keep up the maintenance on its putting/chipping green. The green itself is a joke, and I could get better practice on my carpet at home. The grass around the green is also pathetic and there is no way anyone can really practice chipping. It was like trying to hit a ball off the sidewalk. And of course, it has mats on the range, not real grass. So dont expect a true practice session there.

Surprisingly enough the practice facilities give no indication of how the course is. The fairways and greens were in as good of shape I have seen for a public course and even the bunkers were well maintained (unfortunately I know first hand).

Going forward, Memorial would definitely be on the top of my list to play. The only hard part is getting a tee-time as you have to use the lottery method. If you can get the 4pm twilight rate, I highly recommend it.

*****UPDATE TO REVIEW HERE*****

No comments:

Post a Comment